28 September 2006

LONDON: The Final Countdown


[LONDON - Monday & Tuesday]


Well aware that my time was running out, I got an early start on Monday.

The beauty process ...

The tube took me to Tottenham Court Road where I did a bit of shopping on Oxford Street. Ironically, I spent most of my shopping time in Sports World for cheap comfy sportswear and a bit of time in the Virgin MegaStore.

I wandered straight up Oxford Street in the rain to Berwick Street, where I had lunch at Cotton Café ... like the good ol' days! Their vegetarian 'English breakfast' is a rather good bargain.

After lunch, I headed down to the Soho campus of Westminster Kingsway College. My last real job in London was working there as an Academic Counselor in Admissions. It was nice to catch up with former co-workers and find out what has happened to those who have moved on (or, in this case, mostly just transferred to other WKC campuses).

My time after that is a bit of a blur, as I just spent a bit of time wandering around, thinking, reminiscing and even getting teary-eyed as I sat in Soho Square on Kirsty's bench.

Eventually, I ended up at First Out having a pot of tea downstairs by myself. I had postcards to do (not that any of the got mailed!).

Alister of Prowler!

My mate Alister joined me during his lunch break and we had a chance to gossip & bitch like we once did regularly.

Monday night, I headed up to Androo's in Mill Hill ('home', of sorts!) for dinner and an evening in. Androo is my best mate but this was the first spot of quality time we would have during my jaunt through England. We cooked dinner together and laughed at video bits & bobs he'd been saving for me.

Androo & I at The Black Cap in Camden.

Bless 'im! I miss Androo the most ...

On Tuesday, I got a rather late start but did manage to meet up with my friend Emile for lunch along the South Bank.

Emile ... the hottest half-Irish Arab I know!

Emile is possibly the sexiest older man I know ... but I know lots of sexy older men ... so it's hard to choose just one!

Bunny on the Thames ...

After lunch, we walked along the Thames and made our way to a familiar pub near London Bridge. After wine & a good natter, we hopped on the rush-hour tube and I kept my hand not-so-subtlely on his arse the whole time ... just to keep my balance!

[*larf*]

The time had come for my evening at Retro Bar. I had emailed & texted nearly everyone over the weekend that I'd be round Retro after 6 PM on Tuesday for drinks & goodbyes. For a while, it was just Colin, Pip, Alister and myself but eventually the colourful cast expanded to include Kosher Marc, South African Dirk, Welsh Mark, Gerry with a 'G' ... even a few internet strangers and former OUT in the UK mates!

London's finest ... a motley crew!

In a bit of a peculiar twist, a wee lad named Matt took a shine to me and I was too drunk to really resist.

Matt 18 ... that trumps your 24, Mr Puddin'.

Good for the ego! Unfortunately, this meant a few of my late arrivals got a bit neglected.

APOLOGIES!

After walking Matt & his mate Posh Steph to Embankment, I returned to Retro but a few of my mates were already gone. Retro closed soon so we said our goodbyes and I made my way to & through the tube station.

Not-quite-Queen-Brenda at Embankment!

I like that shot ... artistic, innit?

My intention was to go back to Canning Town pack my things and get back on the tube at 5 AM. Of course, I was bladdered ... so I fell asleep on my bed and woke up 4:30 AM in a mad panic! However, I did make it to Gatwick on time and all went well with my flight and return to Atlanta.

My soul is recharged from my time in London but I am no more happier than before about being anywhere else.

Thanks to all my mates in England, new & old, who made my time there fun & productive.

I adore you lot!

Richard the Big Bunny

BIG BUNNY IN FIT OF FAHVERGNUGEN SHOCKER!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I would say you are without a doubt a great big nut. That's a good thing in my book.

Alex